These are strange/scary times were living through. Its all about flattening the curve & protecting each other & the front line services/NHS. Covid-19 is everywhere & were asked to stay home but we do occasionally have to go out. With that in mind I’ve been making face masks for friends & family.
They are defiantly not medical grade but it does make you more aware to keep your distance & how often you touch your face. Take it off when you get home & wash in boiling soapy water, let it dry & your good for you next trip out. I’ve also notice that others are more likely to give you space if your wearing a mask!!
If you find this useful & enjoy following me consider buying me a coffee on my page at https://ko-fi.com/mairibrown
What you need
2 layers of tight woven cotton fabric
1 layer of medium/thick interfacing
Elastic for ear straps
- Draw up your pattern.
- Cut 2 each of outside & inside cotton & interfacing. You should have 6 pieces of fabric.
- Sew each set together on the long curved edge with right sides together.
- Pin & sew these 3 sets together on the top & bottom edge. They should be stacked cotton rights sides together & then interfaced layer.
- Pin in elastic tabs so the loop is inside the body of the fabric between the two cotton layers.
- Sew across one side completely & the other leaving a hole so you can turn the mask inside out.
- Turn mask inside out & press in shape, check fit.
- Last thing to do is great a small tuck in the side edge which will also close the hole that you pulled it all through.